Re: commit fests

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Greg Smith" <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>,<peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: commit fests
Date: 2010-01-25 18:37:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Issues that are discussed and resolved in that forum will very
> possibly get brought up again on -hackers and reach a different
> conclusion the second time around. Now if people are OK with
> that, maybe it's OK

I would expect that. Heck, people get that to some degree posting
twice to hackers, depending on who pays how much attention each
time. To some extent it would depend on how far those doing the
reviews would stretch their limits to provide a good review, knowing
that someone might do a lot of work based on their advice before a
senior PostgreSQL developer will put eyes on it. The expansion of
the talent pool that could result is one of the possible "hidden
benefits" which might accrue. Other possible benefits could come
from simple "sounding board" discussions, non-critical
"brainstorming" rounds of discussion, and the synergy of disparate
views.

Of course, all this assumes that people maintain the appropriate
demeanor and put some thought and effort into their posts.

> but I have a feeling that could be even more frustrating than the
> system we have now.

Possibly. We'd certainly need prominent caveats, so that people had
the right expectations going in.

-Kevin