Re: Git out of sync vs. CVS

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, tgl <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, peter_e <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Git out of sync vs. CVS
Date: 2010-01-20 15:13:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Actually, such a correction patch would be nice and short. Attached
>>> for reference. Thoughts?
>> That seems better than rewinding the history all the way back to August.
>
> It seems pretty horrible to me. That means we'll have a range of
> times 5 months long for which the git repository doesn't match CVS.
>
> Admittedly, I understand that this is going to be extremely painful
> for anyone who (like Heikki) has to manage a substantial private
> branch.

I won't object to rewinding, it should be fairly painless to rebase.

> I haven't been in a hurry to see us move to git because the git mirror
> is, for most purposes, just as good. But if the git mirror is going
> to start sucking, then I'm in a hurry. The way I used to work before
> I learned git seems laughable now, and I do NOT want to go back.

My feelings exactly. I'm not in a hurry to switch because the mirror is
good enough for me. But if *I* have to spend time fixing the mirror
every few weeks, I'm not happy. Magnus has been kind enough to handle
the last mirror troubles, but I believe hë́ shares the feeling.

--
Heikki Linnakangas