Re: Incrementally Updated Backups and restartpoints

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Incrementally Updated Backups and restartpoints
Date: 2010-01-13 12:34:05
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> I wonder if it would be enough to document that pg_control must be
>> backed up first?
>
> Probably No. The archive recovery from such base backup would always
> fail at the end of recovery because there is no backup-end record,
> i.e., pg_stop_backup() is not executed in that case.

No, that's not an issue. We only wait for the backup-end record if we
haven't seen yet since we started recovery from the base backup.
Assuming the standby had reached that point already before the new
backup from the standby started, backupStartLoc is zero in the control file.

--
Heikki Linnakangas