Re: performance config help

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bob Dusek <redusek(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance config help
Date: 2010-01-11 22:04:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> So, I took a break from writing and searched for some more info on the
> 74xx series CPUs, and from reading lots of articles, including this
> one:
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3414
> It seems apparent that the 74xx series if a great CPU, as long as
> you're not memory bound.

This is why I regularly end up recommending people consider Intel's
designs here so often, the ones that use triple-channel DDR3, instead of
any of the AMD ones. It's extremely easy to end up with a memory-bound
workload nowadays, at which point all the CPU power in the world doesn't
help you anymore.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com