Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2010-01-04 20:41:39
Lists: pgsql-www
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2010, at 12:30 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>
>> well exactly my point - that is what I think we really need and basing it upon a service we directly control is certainly easier than doing (useful) aggregation of only external services. That said we probably need both :)
>
> Yes, because whether or not pgFoundry sticks around, lots of folks will use other stuff.

yep

>> why centralize again? if we are advocating external resources why would we bother with maintaining an even more complex mailinglist setup?
>
> It's already centralized on pgFoundry. What's the difference?

I kinda think given the different usecases of the core lists and
external ones as well as the huge setup differences (mj2 vs mailman for
example) it would make more sense to let those go as well because
migration will be at least as complex as guiding people to other services.

>>> The latter. Which most other project hosting sites already offer.
>> ok but still you would have to aggregate all the stuff on those wikis back into the (hypothetical) aggregation/umbrella service ;)
>
> No, you don't need an aggregation of Web sites. Just stuff like news or releases.

well I can easily imagine that putting a (hopefully powerful) search on
top of that aggregator and being able to search data we already have (in
the wiki database or pgf itself) seems logical.

Stefan