Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2010-01-04 19:31:46
Lists: pgsql-www

All,

My $0.02:

With the presensce today of Launchpad, Codehaus, SourceForge, Tigris,
Java.net, CPAN, GEM, Developerworks, Github, Code.Google.com, and
others, it seems silly for our project to be putting our scarce admin
resources into maintaining/improving an outdated collab site. Let
others do the work.

There's also a 2nd advantage to having the PG accessory project mostly
hosted elsewhere: it makes us more visible to outside communities.

What we need out of pgfoundry is five things, none of which require a
full collab framework, and some of which are really unrelated to the others:

1) a place for less offical mailing lists (e.g. non-permanent
non-(at)postgresql(dot)org mailing lists) which can be created without the
whole process required for a new "official" list. Note that many of
these lists are not related to any code development project.

2) a place for web pages/documentation for some projects (which could be
a wiki, or something else)

3) a search and download service for postgresql accessories (something
pgfoundry currently does a poor job of)

4) a news feed for postgresql accessories (something pgfoundry currently
does a bad job of)

5) A place to store files for download for internal project use which is
easier to manage than mediawiki's "images", and includes the ability to
restrict files to a specific access list. Like (1), these files are
largely not related to specific development projects.

It seems to me that *all* of the above could be better done than how
pgfoundry does it, and done in a simpler and more maintainable way.

--Josh Berkus