Re: DB is slow until DB is reloaded

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Madison Kelly <linux(at)alteeve(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB is slow until DB is reloaded
Date: 2010-01-04 19:31:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a fairly small DB...
>
> It slows down over time and I can't seem to find a way to get the
> performance to return without doing a dump and reload of the database...

Some questions:

Is autovacuum running? This is the most likely suspect. If not, things
will bloat and you won't be getting appropriate "analyze" runs. Speaking
of which, what happens if you just run "analyze"?

And as long as you are dumping and reloading anyway, how about version
upgrading for bug reduction, performance improvement, and cool new features.

Cheers,
Steve