Thread safety and libxml2

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Thread safety and libxml2
Date: 2009-12-30 17:55:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
We got an interesting report on the testers list today:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-testers/2009-12/msg00000.php

Basically, configure failed on their OpenBSD system because thread
safety is on but the libxml2 wasn't compiled with threaded support:
http://xmlsoft.org/threads.html

Disabling either feature (no --with-libxml or --disable-thread-safety)
gives a working build.

I wonder if it's worthwhile to document this coupling between thread
safety and libxml2 in either
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/install-procedure.html
or even the release notes.  It seems quite likely to bite someone else
again the future.