Re: PATCH: Add hstore_to_json()

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Add hstore_to_json()
Date: 2009-12-30 17:59:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec 30, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> It looks like they are all very permissive, though I wonder what the
> legal effect of a license clause that the software be used for Good
> and not Evil might be.

Yeah, that might be too restrictive, given that PostgreSQL is used by government agencies and porn sites. Not that a given gov or porn site is inherently evil, mind, but some are. ;-P

> I guess the question is whether we would slurp one of these into our
> code base, or whether we would add an analog of --with-libxml and
> provide only a stub implementation when the library is not present.
> Any opinions? Does anyone know whether any of these implementations
> are commonly packaged already?

I doubt that they have similar interfaces, so we'd probably have to rely on one. I'd probably favor embedding, personally, it's less work for admins.

Best,

David