Re: SATA drives performance

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Richard Neill <rn214(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: Ognjen Blagojevic <ognjen(at)etf(dot)bg(dot)ac(dot)yu>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SATA drives performance
Date: 2009-12-24 15:51:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

Richard Neill wrote:
> 3. RAID 0 is twice as unreliable as no raid. I'd recommend using RAID 1
> intead. If you use the Linux software mdraid, remote admin is easy.

The main thing to be wary of with Linux software RAID-1 is that you
configure things so that both drives are capable of booting the system.
It's easy to mirror the data, but not the boot loader and the like.

> 7. If you have 3 equal disks, try doing some experiments. My inclination
> would be to set them all up with ext4...

I have yet to yet a single positive thing about using ext4 for
PostgreSQL. Stick with ext3, where the problems you might run into are
at least well understood and performance is predictable.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com