Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
Cc: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project
Date: 2009-12-20 22:15:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> The arguments against PG are not technical.

A few more points that I didn't see in this thread yet that might help
answer the non-technical questions:

* There seem to be more commercial vendors providing support
for Postgres than MySQL - because most mysql support came
from that one company.
http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support

* There are bigger companies supporting Postgres than mysql.
And yes, that'll still be true even if Oracle supports MySQL.
http://postgresql.fastware.com/

* There are a number of extremely scalable commercial solutions
based on postgres forks (greenplum, enterprisedb, aster, whatever
yahoo uses, etc). These run many of the largest databases
in the world. If you expect your app to grow to that scale; it
might make your migration easier.

* There are specialty commercial companies that support
specific postgres features very well - such as Refractions
specialized http://www.refractions.net/ which provide
great postgis support.

* There are enough large companies that depend entirely
on each of the databases that make either one a save
choice from that point of view (Skype). And the way
Apple and Cisco use it for a number of their programs
(google "cisco postgresql" or "apple final cut postgreesql"
for links) are other nice datapoints of companies most
managers would have heard of.