Re: Update on true serializable techniques in MVCC

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Update on true serializable techniques in MVCC
Date: 2009-12-16 15:38:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at> wrote:

> Although it may have seemed that I was out to shoot the idea down,
> I am interested in the topic. I guess my way of understanding
> something is trying to find holes in it...

No problem. That's how ideas are explored and improved. The brick
wall was that there seemed to be overwhelming opposition to any new
technique which causes serialization failures under conditions where
the cause isn't blindingly obvious, regardless of the resulting
improvements in data reliability.

> I was particularly interested how he solved the problem of phantom
> reads.

> That sounds like it should actually work.

Well, that's certainly not the novel part -- those techniques were
described and proven theoretically decades ago and have been in use
by many popular products for almost as long. It's that non-blocking
SIREAD lock which is the fun part. ;-)

I just wish I had time to read all the documents referenced in the
footnotes....

-Kevin