Re: SE-PostgreSQL/Lite Review

From: "Ing (dot) Marcos Lui's Orti'z Valmaseda" <mlortiz(at)uci(dot)cu>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Joshua Brindle <method(at)manicmethod(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SE-PostgreSQL/Lite Review
Date: 2009-12-12 06:42:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

KaiGai Kohei escribio':
> Stephen Frost wrote:
>
>> Josh,
>>
>> * Joshua Brindle (method(at)manicmethod(dot)com) wrote:

>>> It isn't just a case of using #if and it magically working. You'd need a
>>> system to manage multiple labels on each object that can be addressed by
>>> different systems. So instead of having an object mapped only to
>>> "system_u:object_r:mydb_t:s15" you'd also have to have it mapped to,
>>> eg., "^" for Smack.
>>>
>> I'm not sure I see that being a problem.. We're going to have
>> references in our object managers which make sense to us (eg: table
>> OIDs) and then a way of mapping those to some label (or possibly a set
>> of labels, as you describe). We might want to reconsider the catalog
>> structure a bit if we want to support more than one at a time, but I
>> don't see it as a huge problem to support more than one label existing
>> for a given object.
>>

> If we allow multiple security labels on a database object, we have to
> expand the structure of system catalog whenever a new security feature
> will come in. I think it against to the purpose of the framework.
>
> Even if we store them external relations to reference the object by OID,
> we have to provide multiple interface to import/export a security label
> for each enhanced securities. For example, it requires much complex patch
> to the pg_dump.
>
> My preference is all the enhanced securities shares a common facility
> to manage security label, a common statement support and a common
> backup/restore support.
>
> Thanks,

I'm worried with the performance implications that have this patch on
the core of the system.
If you are aggregating more security layers, There is not a database
degradation? I don't know how you attack these issues.
Regards.

--
"TIP 4: No hagas 'kill -9' a postmaster"

Linux User # 418229
http://www.postgresql-es.org
http://www.postgresql.org
http://www.planetpostgresql.org