Re: navigation menu for documents

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Subject: Re: navigation menu for documents
Date: 2009-12-11 14:06:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Richard Huxton wrote:
> Reworked jquery-based document menu is attached.
>
> Untar will produce bin/ and html/
> cd .../html
> cp /path/to/htmldocs/* .
> ../bin/add_js.pl *html
>
> The contents should be on almost all relevant pages, and:
> - tested on FF3.5, IE7, Opera 9.x
> - expanded if screen width > 800px, closed otherwise
> - contain all page-headings and sub-page headings
> - highlight the current page in the tree
> - provide tooltips for entries that are too wide for the panel
>
> Issues:
> - slow to reload on each page (can be fixed)
> - based on hacked-together perl (this is temporary)
> - layout is perhaps a bit cramped?
>
> This last one is tricky. I can space it better if I can assume as 1280px
> width screen. I can space it better if I have a menu that slides out and
> covers the whole page. Having the menu items wrap onto a second or
> third line just didn't work. At least I couldn't find a way that made it
> clear where the separating line between items was without cluttering the
> whole menu horribly. Settled on not indenting too much, no word-wrap and
> tooltips.
>
> Comments/suggestions/rotten tomatoes?

Richard,

First, many thanks for doing this.

I don't see any comments having been made. I guess either everyone has
been busy or they all think it's just fine (or both) :-)

I think you are definitely on the right track. I will use this,
committed or not. But I'd like to see it finished and committed. Can you
fix the 'slow to reload' problem - that is a bit of a pain. I'm not so
worried about the use of perl to add the script calls - you need perl to
build the docs anyway.

It wasn't terribly cramped for me.

I'm not sure everyone will want this. Maybe we need to provide
"with-js-menu" and "without-js-menu" makefile target variants for html.

cheers

andrew