Re: RAID card recommendation

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>
Cc: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RAID card recommendation
Date: 2009-12-07 22:57:52
Lists: pgsql-performance

Karl Denninger wrote:
> Most common SSDs will NOT come up on the 3ware cards at present. Not
> sure why as of yet - I've tried several.

Right, and they're being rather weasly at
http://www.3ware.com/kb/Article.aspx?id=15470 talking about it too.
> Not had the time to screw with them on the ARECA cards yet.

I know the situation there is much better, like:
http://hothardware.com/News/24-Samsung-SSDs-Linked-Together-for-2GBSec/

Somebody at Newegg has said they got their Areca 1680 working with one
of the Intel X-25 drives, but wasn't impressed by the write
performance of the result. Makes me wonder if the Areca card is messing
with the write cache of the drive.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com