Re: Order by (for 15 rows) adds 30 seconds to query time

From: Richard Neill <rn214(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "<Richard Neill" <rn214(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>, Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, jmpoure(at)free(dot)fr, PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Order by (for 15 rows) adds 30 seconds to query time
Date: 2009-12-02 23:04:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

Kevin Grittner wrote:

>> That does look weird. Do we have a self-contained test case?

Not at the moment. It seems to only occur with relatively complex joins.

> Richard, could you capture the schema for the affected tables and
> views with pg_dump -s and also the related rows from pg_statistic?
> (The actual table contents aren't needed to see this issue.)

Here are the relevant parts of the schema - I've cut this out of the
source-tree rather than pg_dump, since it seems more readable.

Regarding pg_statistic, I don't understand how to find the relevant
rows - what am I looking for? (the pg_statistic table is 247M in size).

Thanks for your help,

Richard

Attachment Content-Type Size
schema.sql text/x-sql 5.9 KB