Re: PG_STANDBY ISSUE

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: akp geek <akpgeek(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG_STANDBY ISSUE
Date: 2009-11-23 18:04:30
Lists: pgsql-general

akp geek wrote:
> Hi experts -
>
> I am running into issue with pg_standby. May be my
> understanding is not correct. Please help. here is what I did .
>

> 1. I made changes in the postgresql.conf ( archive_mode = on
> ,archive_command = 'cp -i %p /opt/postgres/archive/%f' , archive_timeout =
> 60s )
> 2. pg_ctl start -D $PGDATA -l /opt/postgres/logfile
> 3. postgres=# select pg_start_backup('BKP_LBL');
> 4. I have done the base backup and I have used the following command
> for restore in the recovery.conf
> 5. restore_command = 'pg_standby -d -s 3 -t
> /tmp/pg_standby.trigger.5432 /opt/postgres/archive/%f %p %r'

From memory, do you not want a space between ".../archive/" and "%f" - I
think they're separate parameters.

Also, you'll want to redirect STDERR to a file - add the following to
the end of the command: 2>>/tmp/standby.log

That way we'll be able to see what's happening.

> 6. postgres=# select pg_stop_backup();
> 7. Now I have made some changes to the master database and I waited for
> 30 minutes

Or just generate lots of changes so WAL files get filled.

> 8. I have stopped the master database
> 9. I have started the slave. But I did not find the changes I have done
> after I issued the command elect pg_stop_backup();

> 10. The log files have shipped to archive folder

Good. That's a useful fact. Let's see if anything shows up in our
standby logfile once we have it.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd