Re: Is Diskeeper Automatic Mode safe?

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: Robert Schnabel <schnabelr(at)missouri(dot)edu>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, cb <cb(at)mythtech(dot)net>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is Diskeeper Automatic Mode safe?
Date: 2009-11-16 21:09:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

> I also have backup software running that does
> complete drive imaging so I should be able to do this fairly safely.
> Here is the plan...
>
> 1) Shut down the Diskeeper service, run a query that is write heavy and
> then pull the chord on the box. Wait a few minutes then plug it back in
> and see if it recovers.
> 2) Leave Diskeeper running and repeat the above...
>
> Comments/suggestions? If I'm going to do this I'd like to make sure I
> do it correctly so it will be useful for the group.

Do it more than once. This is a highly erratic test that can catch your system at a wide variety of points, some of which cause no problems, and some of which can be catastrophic. If you test and it fails, you know you have a problem. If you test and it doesn't fail, you don't know much. It's only when you've tested a number of times without failure that you've gained any real knowledge.

Craig