named parameters in SQL functions

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: named parameters in SQL functions
Date: 2009-11-15 17:37:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Tom's suggestion I am looking at allowing use of parameter names in
SQL functions instead of requiring use of $1 etc. That raises the
question of how we would disambiguate a parameter name from a column
name. Essentially, ISTM, we could use some special marker such as @
(c.f. SQL Server) or : (c.f. ecpg) or else we could have some rule that
says which name takes precedence. I think I prefer a special marker,
other things being equal. Is there a standard on this?

cheers

andrew