Re: Customize the install directory of the postgres DB

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: weixiang tam <weixiang(dot)ets(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Customize the install directory of the postgres DB
Date: 2009-11-13 23:10:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> The real problem that I think the OP hasn't considered is whether
> his "bundled" RPM package isn't going to conflict with a preinstalled
> postgresql RPM. Relocating the RPM, either dynamically as you suggest
> or by just changing the install paths while building it, isn't a very
> palatable solution since e.g. you really want libpq.so in /usr/lib,
> psql in /usr/bin/, etc.

It sounds like they really do want all of those things to be installed
in a subdirectory of their app, so I don't see a problem with them being
there instead of the standard locations. As long as they know how to
run psql etc., not having them in the global PATH might be a feature
rather than a problem. The only detail I'm aware of they may not have
considered is that a subdirectory install has the potential for the
binaries to not be able to find their associated libraries, so they
might either have to add those to the system loader configuration or set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH before calling database binaries. Ideally you'd find
them via rpath or something so this isn't an issue, but it's easy to
miss that the first time you make a change like this.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com