Re: Listen / Notify rewrite

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Chernow <andrew(at)esilo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Listen / Notify rewrite
Date: 2009-11-13 16:17:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I think the original OP was close. The structure can still be fixed length
>> but maybe we can bump it to 8k (BLCKSZ)?
>>

> The problem with this (which I basically agree with) is that this will
> greatly increase the size of the queue for all participants of this
> feature if they use the payload or not. I think it boils down to
> this: is there a reasonably effective way of making the payload
> variable length (now or in the future)? If not, let's compromise and
> maybe go with a larger size, maybe 256 or 512 bytes.

My original intention was to have the queue as a circular buffer where
the size of the entries was variable, but possibly bounded. Certainly
using fixed length records of large size seems somewhat wasteful.

But maybe that doesn't fit with what Joachim has done.

Incidentally, I'd like to thank Joachim personally for having done this
work, that I have been trying to get to for a couple of years, and that
circumstances kept conspiring to prevent me from doing. It's been a big
monkey on my back.

cheers

andrew