SSD + RAID

From: Laszlo Nagy <gandalf(at)shopzeus(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SSD + RAID
Date: 2009-11-13 12:46:15
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hello,

I'm about to buy SSD drive(s) for a database. For decision making, I
used this tech report:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16255/9
http://techreport.com/articles.x/16255/10

Here are my concerns:

    * I need at least 32GB disk space. So DRAM based SSD is not a real
      option. I would have to buy 8x4GB memory, costs a fortune. And
      then it would still not have redundancy.
    * I could buy two X25-E drives and have 32GB disk space, and some
      redundancy. This would cost about $1600, not counting the RAID
      controller. It is on the edge.
    * I could also buy many cheaper MLC SSD drives. They cost about
      $140. So even with 10 drives, I'm at $1400. I could put them in
      RAID6, have much more disk space (256GB), high redundancy and
      POSSIBLY good read/write speed. Of course then I need to buy a
      good RAID controller.

My question is about the last option. Are there any good RAID cards that
are optimized (or can be optimized) for SSD drives? Do any of you have
experience in using many cheaper SSD drives? Is it a bad idea?

Thank you,

   Laszlo

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Karl DenningerDate: 2009-11-13 13:02:34