Re: Concurrency testing

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Concurrency testing
Date: 2009-10-09 18:34:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

David Fetter wrote:
> 1. Test situations which require more than one connection, possibly
> to different clusters, for example in the cases of Hot Standby and
> Streaming Replication. This further divides into event-based and
> time-based tests. It's this situation I had in mind when I posted,
> and it was inspired by bugs I've seen, the most recent being in
> writeable CTEs.

Hm.. not sure what you mean by time-base tests, but to me that
distinction sounds like regression vs. performance testing. Or do you
think of time-based regression tests? I certainly favor regression tests
that are event-based, as I've run into too many false errors due to
unexpected timings already.

> 2. Test situations which require *many* connections in order to find
> issues caused, in essence, by load.
>
> Tsung seems well-suited to the latter.

Agreed. I would also note here, that Tsung seems especially well suited
for performance testing of clustered solutions, as you very likely have
to cluster the testing agents as well to put a decent load on the SUT.

Regards

Markus Wanner