Re: CommitFest 2009-09, two weeks on

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Dan Colish <dan(at)unencrypted(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CommitFest 2009-09, two weeks on
Date: 2009-10-02 14:27:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Meskes írta:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 09:05:55PM +0200, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
>
>> Yes, but technical problems and solutions do. ECPG claims
>> to be ESQL/C compatible, but at places it's only half compatible.
>>

> Where does it claim to be fully compatible?

I didn't say it claims to be fully compatible, but it's
a "hint" that "ecpg -C INFORMIX[_SE]" exists. :-)

>> This comment is misleading and reflects quite a narrow POV.
>> Not only OPEN and DECLARE may be out of scope,
>> but FETCH and CLOSE as well. The reason why ESQL/C
>> allows this construct is that this ultimately allows using
>> embedded SQL in event-driven code in a straightforward way.
>> For this purpose, native ECPG code is not usable currently,
>> or you need programming tricks, like tracking whether the
>> cursor is open and protecting DECLARE and OPEN under
>> some conditional branch to avoid double open, etc. A straight
>> DECLARE, OPEN, FETCH(s) and CLOSE series in
>> the same function is only good for batch programming.
>>

> Examples?

I took my outofscope.pgc example from our "out of
scope" patch and shortened it. Compare the ecpg-native and
compat outputs and the esql output of the same file. The ecpg
outputs are generated with 8.4.1 plus out patches added, the
native output differs only from 8.3.7's ecpg in the amount of
whitespaces emitted between literals. The get_record1()
function can be called from a button-handler, e.g. when pressing
PgDn, or similar... No tricks needed, straightforward code.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--
Bible has answers for everything. Proof:
"But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more

Zoltán Böszörményi
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
http://www.postgresql.at/

Attachment Content-Type Size