Re: Use "samehost" by default in pg_hba.conf?

From: Stef Walter <stef-list(at)memberwebs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Use "samehost" by default in pg_hba.conf?
Date: 2009-10-01 13:47:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Now that the samehost/samenet patch is in, I wonder if it wouldn't be
> a good idea to replace this part of the default pg_hba.conf file:

You're probably not suggesting this, but I would be against a default
setting of 'samehost' used with 'trust'.

Essentially that would be the same as rlogin rsh, where if the user can
spoof a TCP connection, he can connect to postgresql. Depending on the
platform, an interface may have to be down for this to work.

Cheers,

Stef