Re: sync structures

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: John <jfabiani(at)yolo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: sync structures
Date: 2009-09-28 17:08:20
Lists: pgsql-general

John wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a development DB and a production DB. I need a way to sync the changes
> I make to the stucture in the devel DB to the production DB. I found pgdiff
> but can't get it to work. I would like a solution that would work on windows
> and linux. But I'll take either alone.
>
> postgres 8.3
> openSUSE 11.0
> windows XP/vista

we make our changes via .sql files, and always keep in parallel a 'new
database' .sql file that creates the schema from scratch, and a 'delta'
SQL file which updates from one released version to the next. these
.sql files live in our source code control, along with the applications.
We do _not_ diddle the development environment schema interactively,
except for experiments on a scratch copy.