Re: Feedback on getting rid of VACUUM FULL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feedback on getting rid of VACUUM FULL
Date: 2009-09-16 18:42:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/16/09 11:20 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> a) To date, I have yet to hear a single person bring up an actual
>> real-life use-case where VACUUM FULL was desireable and REWRITE
>> would not be.
>
> Would rewrite have handled this?:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-09/msg01016.php

Ok, that sounds like a real use case.

However, given Heikki's post about FULL being an issue for Hot Standby,
I'm more inclined to provide a workaround ... for example, allowing
REWRITE to write to a designated tablespace, which would allow people to
use a portable drive or similar for the extra disk space.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.