Re: Ragged CSV import

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ragged CSV import
Date: 2009-09-09 20:47:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> Would this just work on columns on the end, or would it work on the
> basis of parsing the CSV header and matching columns?
>
> While the former functionality would be relatively simple, I think
the
> latter is what people really want.

It's been a while since I've had a need for something like this, but
of
the copy features not currently available in PostgreSQL, the two most
useful are to read in only some of the defined columns, and to output
a separate disk file any rows which failed to match the expected
format.
The latter would not cause the copy to fail unless the count of such
rows exceeded a user-specified threshold.

-Kevin