Re: recursively isolate pedigrees, based only on person_id, mother_id and father_id

From: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: rawi <only4com(at)web(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: recursively isolate pedigrees, based only on person_id, mother_id and father_id
Date: 2009-08-28 16:19:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

On the assumption that you wish to generate the pedigrees for analysis
or charting,
why not perform the recursion in those layers (or their supporting
software), This
does not require a large number of sql calls since using an in-clause
each call
will gather one generation (ascending or descending) for all new persons
retrieved
in any iteration. How deep are your pedigrees and what is their typical
size?