Re: BUG #5011: Standby recovery unable to follow timeline change

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: James Bardin <jbardin(at)bu(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5011: Standby recovery unable to follow timeline change
Date: 2009-08-26 08:40:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

James Bardin wrote:
> I'm working on a system where the master and standby servers are expected to
> be able to swap roles repeatedly. The first failover works fine, but the
> ex-master, now standby, can't recover using the shipped logs.
>
> Using recovery_target_timeline='latest' finds the new history file, and
> pg_standby looks good until recovery is attempted. Then we log errors like:
>
> LOG: unexpected timeline ID 0 in log file 0, segment 1, offset 0
> LOG: invalid primary checkpoint record
>
> and any changes made after the first failover are lost.
>
> Is this currently possible, or do I have to send a full file-level backup to
> sync the ex-master server with the new master?

That should work. (Note that you do need to restore the ex-master from
the old base backup; you can't just copy recovery.conf to the old
master's data directory.)

I can reproduce that, it's clearly a bug. Thanks for the report!

Our last-minute changes in 8.4 to allow checkpoint record to be created,
while forbidding other WAL insertions, missed that CreateCheckPoint()
calls AdvanceXLInsertBuffer() which requires a valid ThisTimeLineID to
be set. We need to initialize ThisTimeLineID before we call
AdvanceXLInsertBuffer().

I wonder if we should add an XLogInsertAllowed() cross-check to
AdvanceXLInsertBuffer() to catch this kind of bugs in the future.
Writing a new empty WAL page is more or less the same thing as writing a
new WAL record. OTOH, all other AdvanceXLInsertBuffer() calls are from
XLogInsert(), which already checks that, and those calls are in quite
performance-critical paths.

Attached is a straightforward fix which initializes ThisTimeLineID
before the AdvanceXLInsertBuffer() call. Barring objections, I'll commit
that.

BTW, I'm not sure if the AdvanceXLInsertBuffer() call is really
necessary there. It's just to round up the redo-pointer in the
checkpoint record to where the next WAL record will be, but ISTM the end
location of the last record would work just as well.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

Attachment Content-Type Size
bug-5011-fix-1.patch text/x-diff 559 bytes