Re: Feature / Enhancement request.

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Melvin Davidson <melvin(dot)davidson(at)rackspace(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature / Enhancement request.
Date: 2009-08-25 22:46:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/25/09 9:18 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> It would really be nice if pg_class were altered to add two new columns:
> relcreatedat & relmoddat.

I don't think that altering pg_class would really cover all the various
cases of what people want for auditing functionality.

It would be more useful to be able to put a trigger on various system
tables, so you could record what you wanted. However, the system tables
are not normal tables to that would not work predictably.

Search on "DDL Triggers" on the mailing lists for previous discussions
of the technical difficulties around this issue.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.