Re: SET syntax in INSERT

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SET syntax in INSERT
Date: 2009-08-25 19:01:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rob Wultsch wrote:
>> -1 PostgreSQL isn't MySQL!
>>

> For an insert with many columns or with large value this syntax can
> significantly improve readability. So it wasn't invented here, so
> what? I don't see a downside to allowing this syntax other than MySQL
> used it first, and there are multiple upsides (readability, easier
> transitions).

We don't mind things that aren't invented here at all. We have a whole
bunch or Oracle compatibility stuff, and we adopted "DROP ... IF EXISTS
..." from MySQL. But we do prefer to use the standard syntax for any
feature that it supports (for example, we rejected "connect by" in favor
of the Standard) , and we're usually not terribly big on syntactic sugar.

That said, I don't have any very strong feelings against this proposal,
if somebody wants to put the effort into making it possible.

cheers

andrew