Re: GRANT ON ALL IN schema

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Nikhil Sontakke <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <pjmodos(at)pjmodos(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: GRANT ON ALL IN schema
Date: 2009-08-10 21:00:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> But to make it really nice you'd have to move away from pl programs as
>> strings. That would be a lot more work, and you really wouldn't want to
>> make it work with more than one PL for the sake of everyone's sanity.

You mean something like:

postgres=# begin
end;

?

> That would be an awful lot of messiness to save four keystrokes...

I second that. We support that in EDB for Oracle compatibility, and it's
a pain the ass. You need to call the PL/pgSQL parser on the query string
just to figure out where it ends. And worse, psql needs to know about it
too, so you need a minimal version of the PL/pgSQL parser in the client too.

Something like
DO $$ begin ...; end $$;

gives 90% of the usability with 10% of the trouble.

--
Heikki Linnakangas