distributing postgresql binaries

From: Garry Saddington <garry(at)schoolteachers(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: distributing postgresql binaries
Date: 2009-08-01 10:41:48
Lists: pgsql-general

I have developed an application using Zope and Postgresql and I want to
be able to distribute the application with a full database of data so
that there are no setup worries for users. The platform is Windows. When
I copy the app over to windows XP home, Postgres refuses to start and I
get a cryptic 'Application is configured wrongly' message from windows.
It seems that the absence of registry entries (done some testing) is the
problem. Is there a distribution that will run when copied from one
machine to another without writing anything in the registry? By the way,
I tried the binaries only install from the download area for 8.3.7 and
it won't start either with the same error message. Any help would be
much appreciated.
Regards
Garry