Re: why is autovacuum still ongoing even if set to off ?

From: Costin Grigoras <costing(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: why is autovacuum still ongoing even if set to off ?
Date: 2009-07-31 07:15:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Ok, if autovacuum doesn't actually lock the tables for this long time
then it's fine. But I started investigating this because the inserts
were hanging and I'm still puzzled why it's active when it shouldn't be :)

In principle you are right, but in this particular case autovacuum gets
in the way since internal cleanup procedures already do
cluster/vacuum/analyze when needed.

Anyway, now the autovacuum thread is gone so ... I'll investigate more
next time when it pops up.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,

.costin