Re: combining db's- importing primary keys

From: nha <lyondif02(at)free(dot)fr>
To: PgSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: combining db's- importing primary keys
Date: 2009-07-29 14:26:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Le 29/07/09 15:02, Jasen Betts a écrit :
> On 2009-07-27, Bob Gobeille <bob(dot)gobeille(at)hp(dot)com> wrote:
>> I would like to combine multiple databases (same schema) into one
>> master db. Does anyone know how I can reconcile all my primary and
>> foreign keys to maintain referential integrity.
>
> prefix them all with something that's unique to their source database.
>
> easy to say, hard to do.

A process (and solution) may be different whether:
-the master db will replace all other databases (ie. data manipulation
would directly perform on data managed by master db);
-or the master db will reflect a combined view of data hosted by all
other databases (ie. data manipulation would still perform on
distributed databases and master db would play a role of federated view);
-or both (data manipulation have to be manageable at the both side: on
master db and on distributed db).

Regards.
--
nha / Lyon / France.