Re: PostgreSQL Databse Migration to the Latest Version and Help for Database Replication.

From: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Krishna Komarpant <kkrishna44(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Databse Migration to the Latest Version and Help for Database Replication.
Date: 2009-07-20 00:29:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Krishna Komarpant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am Java Solutions Developer. I have my servers that run PostgreSQL
> v8.1.11 and they are quit stable.
> Recently i was supposed to install a Database Replication tool for the
> Databases. I realized that i might have to upgrade my database from v8.1
> .11 to v8.4

You should be running a newer 8.1 release - it's up to 8.1.17. There are
only bugfixes in that branch, no new features - so you won't have any
issues just upgrading postgres.

> *1) _Would there be any compatibillity issue if i do this migration at
> one shot_?*

Probably. 8.3 introduced some stricter type and language checking (eg
stricter checks for utf8 characters) and I'm sure 8.4 did on top of
that. Check the changelogs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release.html

<snip same question asked again>

> *5) *I want to implement a Master-Slave Replication system, and found
> that SLONY-I is the best that matches with PostgreSQL database system.
> But this is advisable in an environment where none of the
> master/slave(s) are having a problem of being detached from the network
> or frequent power failures. Here with my project this is the case.
> *_Can you suggest a good database replication tool that would replicate
> my postgreSQL databases it cud be a master-master DB replication tool as
> well. Not a problem_.
> *I have tried *RubyRep, Bucardo, *_but none of these have a stable rpm
> release for CentOS version of Linux Operation System_.

No idea about that one unfortunately.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/