Re: [PERFORM] Incr/Decr Integer

From: William Scott Jordan <wsjordan(at)brownpapertickets(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Incr/Decr Integer
Date: 2009-07-16 21:20:34
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Hi Andrew,

That's a very good guess. We are in fact updating this table multiple
times within the same triggered function, which is being called on an
INSERT. Essentially, we're using this to keep a running total of the
number of rows being held in another table. The function we're using
currently looks something like this:

---
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION the_function() RETURNS "trigger"
AS $$
BEGIN;
UPDATE the_table
SET first_column = first_column + 1
WHERE first_id = NEW.first_id ;

UPDATE the_table
SET second_column = second_column + 1
WHERE second_id = NEW.second_id ;

UPDATE the_table
SET third_column = third_column + 1
WHERE third_id = NEW.third_id ;
RETURN NULL;
END;
$$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;
---

For something like this, would it make more sense to break out the three
different parts into three different functions, each being triggered on
INSERT? Or would all three functions still be considered a single
transaction, since they're all being called from the same insert?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-William