Re: Password?

From: Andreas Wenk <a(dot)wenk(at)netzmeister-st-pauli(dot)de>
To: Ms swati chande <swativc(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Password?
Date: 2009-07-08 09:52:13
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Andreas Wenk schrieb:
> Ms swati chande schrieb:
>> Hi
>>
>> When I write the following commands at the prompt,
>>
>> >createuser -S -d -R user1
>> > createdb sample
>>
>> I am asked to enter a password. I have not set any password anywhere.
>> Which password is it asking for?
>> Please help.
>> I have built from source on Windows XP.
>>
>> Thanks is advance,
>>
>> Regards
>> Swati
> Hi Swati,
>
> what are the setting of your pg_hba.conf? I assume that there is a entry
> like this:
>
> # TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
>
> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
> local all all password
>

> That means that the password you are asked is the password of the
> standard user for your cluster - commonly postgres.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

*argh* - more detailed to avoid confusion. The auth method 'password' in pg_hba.conf
means, that you will be asked for a password for the user you try to create a db with. If
no user is given (with createdb -U [username]), this user is postgres ...

see also createdb --help for options ...

Cheers

Andy