Re: What does log_destination = csvlog mean?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What does log_destination = csvlog mean?
Date: 2009-06-15 19:14:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> In reading through our documentation, I am unclear how "log_destination
> = csvlog" works. It seems to me that 'cvslog' is a format-output type,
> not a real destination, or rather it is a special output format for
> stderr. Is this accurate? I would like to clarify our documentation.

CSV logs can in fact only be delivered via redirected stderr, i.e.
csvlog requires that logging_collector be on. So in a sense it's both a
format and a destination.

There is a strong technical reason for that, namely that only by doing
that can be be sure that CSV logs won't get lines multiplexed, which
would make loading them back into a table impossible. We invented a
whole (simple) protocol between the backends and the syslogger just to
handle that.

cheers

andrew