Re: Managing multiple branches in git

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Date: 2009-06-02 19:17:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Mark Mielke wrote:
>
>> I am curious about why an end user would really care? CVS and SVN both
>> kept local workspace directories containing metadata. If anything, I
>> find GIT the least intrusive of these three, as the .git is only in the
>> top-level directory, whereas CVS and SVN like to pollute every directory.
>>

> That's not the problem. The problem is that it is kept in the same
> directory as the checked out copy. It would be a lot more usable if it
> was possible to store it elsewhere.

I'm not following. CVS and SVN both kept such directories "in the
checked out copy." Recall the CSV/*,v files?

As for storing it elsewhere - if you absolute must, you can. There is a
--git-dir=GIT_DIR and --work-tree=GIT_WORK_TREE option to all git
commands, and GIT_DIR / GIT_WORK_TREE environment variables.

I just don't understand why you care. If the CVS directories didn't bug
you before, why does the single .git directory bug you now? I'm
genuinely interested as I don't get it. :-)

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <mark(at)mielke(dot)cc>