Re: How to run PostgreSQL?

From: Andy Shellam <andy-lists(at)networkmail(dot)eu>
To: Jan Muhammad <janmuhd(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu
Subject: Re: How to run PostgreSQL?
Date: 2009-05-07 16:29:11
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi Jan

> initdb: directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data" exists but is not empty
> If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
> the directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data" or run initdb
> with an argument other than "/usr/local/pgsql/data"
>
> Wonder what step I have missed?

Exactly what it says.  The directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data" exists and
has some data in it.  In order to get initdb to use this directory, you
need to either delete it, rename it or give initdb a different path
other than "/usr/local/pgsql/data".

If you have run initdb before in this directory (and it succeeded) you
don't need to do it again.  It's possible the package manager/RPM may
have run this for you when it installed PgSQL.

If you're setting up a new PostgreSQL server, why are you using 8.2.11?
For starters, the 8.3 branch is the most recent, with 8.3.7 being the
current release of that branch, but there's also a more recent 8.2
release than the one you've just installed, 8.2.13.

Ray, I agee with your comment; I always prefer source compilation over
package management.

Regards,
Andy