Re: windows doesn't notice backend death

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: windows doesn't notice backend death
Date: 2009-05-05 16:55:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
>> Attached is a proposed patch for the "dead man switch" idea.
>> Barring objections I'll go ahead and apply this to HEAD. I'm wondering
>> whether we are sufficiently worried about the Windows task manager issue
>> to risk back-patching into 8.3 and 8.2 ... comments?
>
> For lack of response, I assume no one wants to back-patch this.

Hmm. I didn't have time to look it over :(

In general, killing server processes from task manager in windows is
less likely to be a popular thing than using kill on unix (and it still
surprises me how many people that consider themselves experts still do
"kill -9" by defualt whenever they want to stop something..)

Given that it actually doesn't notice it if we do, we might have people
doing this that don't know about it. But I think we can at least keep it
HEAD only for a while until it's seen some productoin level testing...

//Magnus