Re: keeping a timestamp of the last stats reset (for a db, table and function)

From: tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: keeping a timestamp of the last stats reset (for a db, table and function)
Date: 2010-12-19 11:36:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz> writes:
>> I've done several small changes to the patch, namely
>
>> - added docs for the functions (in SGML)
>> - added the same thing for background writer
>
>> So I think now it's 'complete' and I'll add it to the commit fest in a
>> few minutes.
>
> Please split this into separate patches for database-level and
> table-level tracking, because I think it's highly likely that the latter
> will get rejected. We have had multiple complaints already about the
> size of the stats file for databases with many tables. I don't believe
> that it's worth bloating the per-table entries even further with this
> information. Tracking reset time it per-database doesn't seem like a
> problem though.

Sorry, it's not possible to split this patch into two, and then choose
just one or both pieces. I could split it, but using just the
'per-database' part would not make sense.

The problems is that right now, when stat's are reset for a single table
or function, the timestamp is set just for that one item, not for the
whole database. So just a blind split of the patch (and using just the
per-database part) would mean the info about tables/functions is lost.

I can prepare an alternative patch, using just per-database timestamps. So
even a reset for a single table/function would set the timestamp for the
whole database.

Tomas