Re: postgres 8.2.9 can't drop database in single user mode

From: "Maria L(dot) Wilson" <Maria(dot)L(dot)Wilson-1(at)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Wilson, Maria Louise (LARC-E301)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS APPLICATIONS]" <m(dot)l(dot)wilson(at)nasa(dot)gov>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres 8.2.9 can't drop database in single user mode
Date: 2009-04-22 17:10:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

wow - I am finally back in business!!

Tom - the answer to your question is yes - these uncommitted
transactions blocked the vacuuming. As soon as i got around getting the
uncommitted transactions rollbacked - the vacuuming worked and things
seemed fine. One other little thing i had was a corrupt pg_hba.conf
file also. INteresting..... As soon as i recreated a new one -
everything seemed fine.

Question - is there any maintenance type item that we could to to check
for uncommitted transactions on a regular basis - outside of the
pg_prepared_xacts table?
How about from a developers position - most of our code accessing
the databases is jboss/java/jdbc. What could have happened from the
code side that caused these uncommitted transactions?

Thanks again for everybody's help!! Maria Wilson