Re: Finding out on exactly what I am stuck

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: Péter Kovács <maxottovonstirlitz(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finding out on exactly what I am stuck
Date: 2009-04-10 13:42:43
Lists: pgsql-admin
Péter Kovács <maxottovonstirlitz(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> It appears nobody is waiting for a lock (all current locks are
> granted):

Then I would run the UPDATE on another connection with EXPLAIN in
front of it.  That would show you the plan it will use, which might
give a clue why it is running so long.

Also, a connection which is "idle in transaction" will prevent normal
maintenance and may lead to table bloat which can kill performance.
It could be that your problem is there.  You might want to check how
big your database is (using du or something similar), and make sure
that the size seems reasonable.

I hope this helps.

-Kevin