Re: question about deparsing const node and its typmod

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <Tao Ma <feng_eden(at)163(dot)com>,<Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: question about deparsing const node and its typmod
Date: 2009-04-02 14:48:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Tao Ma" <feng_eden(at)163(dot)com> writes:
>> Is it really important to show the 'bpchar' if there is no any
>> explicit casting for the column default value.
>
> Yeah. We cannot say "char" because per SQL spec, that means
> "char(1)", but there mustn't be a restriction to a single character
> here.

Tangential point: Maybe bpchar should be better documented for users,
since it does occassionally show up in user visible places. The only
current description that I could find (short of digging into the
source code) is here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/typeconv-query.html

Perhaps a mention should be added here, as it might be where people
would go looking for it?:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datatype-character.html

-Kevin