Re: More message encoding woes

From: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More message encoding woes
Date: 2009-04-01 18:57:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
>> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> I just tried that, and it seems that gettext() does transliteration, so
>>> any characters that have no counterpart in the database encoding will be
>>> replaced with something similar, or question marks.
>
>> It doesn't occur in the current Windows environment. As for Windows
>> gnu gettext which we are using, we would see the original msgid when
>> iconv can't convert the msgstr to the target codeset.
>
> Well, if iconv has no conversion to the codeset at all then there is no
> point in selecting that particular codeset setting anyway. The question
> was about whether we can distinguish "no conversion available" from
> "conversion available, but the test string has some unconvertible
> characters".

What I meant is we would see no '?' when we use Windows gnu gettext.
Whether conversion available or not depends on individual msgids.
For example, when the Japanese msgstr corresponding to a msgid has
no characters other than ASCII accidentally, Windows gnu gettext will
use the msgstr not the original msgid.