Re: gettext, plural form and translation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Sergey Burladyan <eshkinkot(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: gettext, plural form and translation
Date: 2009-03-19 08:20:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> Sergey Burladyan escribió:
>>> maybe build farm can help to test it ?
>
>> Yes, I think we should implement it and see what happens with the
>> buildfarm. If we stand still and do nothing, we won't be any wiser.
>
> The buildfarm is irrelevant to the fact that some platforms don't
> have ngettext.
>
> If the patch is designed to use ngettext where available, and to be no
> worse than what we have where it isn't, then we could consider it.

It depends also on what we *want* to target. I originally omitted the
plural support because it was a GNU extension, and I wanted to support
"standard" gettext implementations as well. (There was also a licensing
consideration.) Solaris is the "original" implementation of this API,
so it can serve as a reference point.

But it is open to debate whether that decision is more useful than the
tradeoff it imposes.

What I read now, however, is that Solaris 9 introduced the
GNU-compatible ngettext extension, which changes the above argument
considerably.

Given the current information available to me, I would also be satisfied
to require ngettext() and reject NLS support on platforms that don't
provide it.