Re: Solaris getopt_long and PostgreSQL

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Solaris getopt_long and PostgreSQL
Date: 2009-03-18 08:29:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dne 17.03.09 19:48, Chuck McDevitt napsal(a):

> Any obviously, we don't just use ours for platforms with no or broken getopt_long,
> since we are talking Solaris (which has a bug in getopt, but
getopt_long works fine)

Just for clarification:

It is not bug in Solaris. It is Solaris' getopt extension for long arg
processing from days when getopt_long did not exist (hmm it seems that
it is still not in POSIX :( ). By my opinion PostgreSQL does not work
correctly here, because it uses construction which is marked as a
implementation depended in POSIX standard.

See:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/getopt.html
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap12.html#tag_12_02

Zdenek